Being parents is quite the juggling act! Family, job, home, dog, plants…Here are 6 tips to a parents balanced and healthy life.
1. Make time for hobbies and not just for responsibilities. It’s important to have fun! Make time for those hobbies you are passionate about. Sign up for an acting class, photography, writing, painting, cooking! Gosh…I could go on and on with my list of hobbies lol. Make time for yourself.
2. Ask your family for help. Don’t hesitate to ask your parents to watch the kids for you while you take a couple of hours for yourself when you need to. During this precious break, do nothing (you deserve it) or venture out to dinner with your partner in crime (significant other). Ask for help with making dinner – the more the merrier. Do the laundry as a family! Don’t take everything on, you’ll burn yourself out. Even superhero’s need a helping hand from time to time.
3. Make those dreaded tasks fun! Cleaning is not as much fun for me as it is for my wonderful OCD husband and now toddler. But we crank up the music and make it fun! Zoë loves helping with gathering laundry and lugging it from hamper to washer and dryer. It’s hysterical since what she grabs gets less and less the closer she gets to the washer and dryer…but she thinks it’s a hoot to run back and pick up from the long trail of clothes left behind. This takes several darts back and forth – she loves it; laughs the whole time!
4. Forgive those who have wronged you. No good comes from holding onto anger and allowing bitterness to fill your heart. Let it go. Anger is too heavy to carry. This doesn’t mean you have to allow them back into your life…surround yourself with good positive people who support your dreams and who you are. Tip: people who want you to change who you are and what makes you happy, are not people you should give your time to.
5. Take one task at a time. It’s incredibly easy to get overwhelmed. I myself have a busy life being a wife, mom, professional model and professional blogger! How do I do it? I make lists. There is nothing more rewarding than checking off a task on my list of “to do’s”. I get happiness just from that alone!
6. Get a good nights sleep. It is so important to get your rest. Parents need their sleep too! We are constantly on a go go go kind of schedule. Pour yourself a hot cup of tea and listen to the quiet after the kiddos are tucked safely in their beds. Time for you to rest – so turn off the lights, close your eyes and sleep.